“A favourite for raw food beginners and veterans alike, this raw carrot and orange cake packs a punch. The combination of citrus and spice will keep your friends and family asking for seconds,” says The Raw Chef Russell James.
“Knowing that this delicious dessert is free of refined sugars, dairy, and gluten allows you to dish it out without any guilt. If that’s not enough, you’ll get a beta-carotene boost form this treat, as the nutrient density in raw carrots is much higher than in cooked!”
Raw Carrot & Orange Cake
3 cup carrots, finely grated
2 cups pecans, ground in a food processor
1/4 cup raisins, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
* Mixed spice is a blend of cinnamon, coriander seed, caraway, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. If you’re in the US you can use pumpkin pie spice.
** Make the date paste by grinding 1 cup soft dates and 1/2 cup orange juice in a food processor until smooth.
• Thoroughly mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
• Shape into individual cakes or press into one large cake, ready to be cut at the end.
• Place on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees F for 8 â€“ 12 hours. If you donâ€™t have a dehydrator you can simply place the cake into the fridge to set.
For the frosting
1 1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons coconut nectar or honey
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
• Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
• Place in fridge to achieve a thicker consistency and spread on cake when youâ€™re ready to serve.â€¨- Garnish cake with nutmeg.
Tip: Know your natural sugars! Refined sugars are a common ingredient in many desserts, but they are one of the easiest to swap out with a healthier option. Whether you are using honey, date paste, or coconut crystals, it ALWAYS benefits you to stay away from highly processed or refined sugars. Keep a few options on hand in the kitchen and you’ll never need to buy white sugar again.
Find more healthy recipes here.