We don’t always have the perfect product on hand for quick hair fixes. When you’re looking for an instant pick-me-up for your tresses, try these nature-friendly tips — courtesy of your kitchen cupboard.
COLOR PICK ME UPS
• Dark hair can be brightened up with a tablespoon of strong organic coffee, added to your favorite natural conditioner. Apply and leave for approximately 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing.
• Cranberry tea works a treat for redheads who want to add luster. Steep organic tea leaves long enough to make a strong brew. Let is cool and pour it over your hair. Leave for 20 minutes and then rinse.
• Blondes have more fun when they steer away from chemical brighteners in favor of chamomile tea. As above, steep until strong, then pour through hair, leaving it between 15 and 20 minutes before rinsing off. If you don’t have chamomile on hand, grab a lemon instead: the fresh juice diluted in distilled water (approximately half and half) will give locks a healthy sheen.
• Regardless of your hair color, if you want an instant healthy hair solution, simply mash half a banana, and a half of an avocado together with a few drops of jojoba oil. Apply this mask throughout your hair, paying close attention to the ends. Leave for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water and towel dry. Follow up by applying a bit more of the oil to the ends.
• Another great hair treat is a blend that can be whipped up in a moment’s notice. Mix one small cup of wheat germ oil and another small cup of sunflower seed oil, warm slightly and massage into your scalp and hair. Follow up with a lemon juice and water rinse.
• Mash a banana with grapeseed oil, wrap in a warm towel and leave for half and hour before rinsing in lukewarm water.
• No one likes dandruff (which often results from food allergies and sugar-fueled diets). Essential oils are great to have on hand to stop the flaking. Simply blend 15 drops of jojoba oil and evening primrose oil, five drops of carrot oil and three drops of cypress oil and massage a teaspoon of the mixture into your scalp before bed.
OILY HAIR TREATMENT
• Combine lemon juice in distilled water and use as a rinse.