Since I’m reviewing cruelty-free makeup brushes over on Instagram, it’s a good idea to share some information on how to clean them naturally, too.
As much as it can feel like a hassle, it’s a smart move to get into the habit of cleaning all of your brushes regularly (of course depending on how often you use them). Bacteria can grow quickly thanks so sweat, dry skin and the like transferring from face to bristles. This, as you can imagine, can cause all sorts of skin issues that can easily be avoided.
This brush cleanser recipe is super easy and only has three easy-to-find ingredients. Plus it will leave your makeup brushes smelling lovely:
- Add fractionated coconut oil and essential oils into a small bowl.
- Swirl your makeup brush in the fractionated coconut oil for 30 seconds, or until you see the makeup stored in your brush start to come out.
- Rub in a circular motion on the palm of hand to help get the makeup out.
- Rinse the brush under warm water. Gently squeeze brush bristles until clean, and the water runs clear.
Note: Make sure to point the bristles down when running under water. Direct water contact may loosen the glue where the bristles are attached and shorten the life of your brushes.
- Let your newly cleaned makeup brushes dry on a towel for at least four hours. Repeat once a month, or as needed.